Canonical Vs Red Hat on GNOME

Originally published at: https://babydora.me/blog/canonical-vs-red-hat-on-gnome/

I’m writing this article for a very specific reason I will explain later on the post. As a sign of a good will, I’m going to skip all the terrible things Canonical did in GNOME for 7 years in a row (2011-2018), and I will only discuss what I see today, that Canonical is back…

1 Like

I use Ubuntu partly because I prefer a Debian-based system. Endless is like Silverblue on Debian, right? But without the normal GNOME Shell I don’t really want to use it.

Labview (at least 2014 release) is only available as rpm, no deb.

yes, Endless is like Silverblue on Debian, but also without something similar to RPM-OSTree that allows us to layer the base image with additional packages. Also pretty shame EOS doesn’t use original Shell :frowning:

1 Like

That is my biggest complain for Canonical. In fact this is the reason for hating them. Obviously I don’t mind that Canonical releases an LTS, what I do mind is that Canonical promotes LTS for their desktop users.

Really?Others such as Debian or the Linux Kernel itself promote LTS release model and I don’t see you rambling (sometimes ranting) about it all the time, which is a bit sad. I think that’s something you told yourself. I think the reality is some sort of mixed bag of disgrunts, you hold a grudge against Ubuntu, that’s what it looks like from my perspective. I can imagine the main reason is that Canonical’s ubuntu is popular and you just don’t like that. I suppose you want other distros such as Fedora to become more popular, which isn’t a bad desire. But why can’t we all be happy and get along? I mean, just find a way to promote other distros with facts, by making them as “convenient” as Ubuntu without sacrificing the fundamental principles of #FOSS (Freedom) which is what unifies all of us as a community.

No matter what distro others use, if someone uses a Linux distro for the desktop is because they are all looking for that! But people want things to work without much trouble (that’s the reason even though I have installed and run Arch, I’m writing this on Mint. Arch is a great experience, but for daily usage I don’t want something that will take too much time away from what I really want to do)
Also, a good reference and helping method is most probably what helps a distro and it’s derivatives become popular, Arch has the Arch wiki, Ubuntu has Ask Ubuntu, and so on, the better those are, the easier a user’s problems with the chosen distro can be solved.
EDIT
Oh and I forgot an important point: A good convenient point is that whatever works for the parent distribution usually works for the child distros. i.e. You can try doing something suggested in Ask Ubuntu on Linux MInt because it is based on it and the underlying system, packages and commands are pretty much the same. It is a similar situation with Arch and Manjaro, if you have trouble you can check the Arch Wiki and find info on what could be wrong. Those things are quite convenient and save time!