Lollypop history

Google translations of: https://linuxfr.org/users/gnumdk/journaux/lollypop-1-0-est-sorti

Hello everyone,

I have been working on Lollypop for 5 years.

I still remember the genesis of the project. 2013, then developer for KDE (kded-appmenu and KWIN), I realize that GNOME takes a direction that I like a lot: “Client Side Decoration” and HeaderBar.

Indeed, I started to work on Kded-appmenu to get rid of the menu bar, finally hide it because I used it little. But the new concept put forward by GNOME suits me better, suddenly, change of creamery … The good news is that kded-appmenu was worn under KDE5 so my code is not dead.

Great user of AmaroK, I am looking for an alternative under GNOME: Exaile, GMPC, … Nothing holds my attention, finally if, GNOME Music, I really like the concept but it’s a disaster to use: slow, it lacks albums and most covers do not appear.

So I decide to look at the source code but GNOME Music depends on many external tools (Tracker, libmediaart) and I do not see how to improve the situation. I also note that the use of Tracker can go for a simple use but that if we have to evolve GNOME Music towards a complex management of the tags, it will be hard to have a fast code.

Based on the latter, I decided to play with Python and GTK. In a few days, I have a simple player who responds to my needs, maybe it meets only my needs, I may be the only one to really understand how it works.

The result will be 5 years of questioning the different concepts, adding top ideas through different users with advanced use of tags to eventually arrive at a fairly comprehensive software even if only meeting the needs of users with a collection of music tidy by tags.

Version 1.0 was released on March 18th, a lot of change in the last 3 months with a very active community to help me fix the latest aberrations in Lollypop.

The biggest news of the 1.0 is the return of YouTube support: Lollypop searches via the API of Spotify and makes playback songs possible through youtube-dl.

FYI, Lollypop is the first application of the Store of Librem Phone, indeed, the interface is able to adapt on the fly.